Thursday, July 19, 2012

Surf & Turf - Local Nova Scotia Style

Last night's dinner was truly local and I'm still drooling whenever I think about it...
The green salad came directly from my daughter's garden - can't get more local than that!   The hanger steak came from Getaway Farm at the Seaport Farmers Market a couple of months ago.  I butchered it...at least the finishing touches following Chef Dennis Johnston of fidResto's tutorial...and...after Ben the Butcher really cut it out of the carcass....and froze it for just such a dinner.   The potatoes also came from the market and the lobster was a delightful spontaneous find - a common sight around Halifax and elsewhere in Nova Scotia... fishermen selling lobsters and scallops and clams fresh from the ocean right out of the back of their trucks.
Preparing dinner was actually quite easy...I whipped up the New Potato & Olive Salad before they came over...since things always get a little wild around here when they arrive.

The Red Wine & Strong Coffee Marinated Hanger Steak had been marinating for two days and was waiting to be thrown on the grill as soon as they stepped through the door.  You can see it peeking out at the top of the plate - the actual photo of the hanger steak alone was not very appealing...so just use your imagination.

The lobster was steamed, very Nova Scotian.. (and way less messy to clean up after)  That's what it looked like before Ezra (my favorite son-in-law) "prepared" it local style.  Check out this video of the process from a few years ago.  The lobsters were thrown into the giant lobster pot when the BBQ was lit for the steaks.

While the protein part of the meal was doing its thing - with my Honey at the grill and Ezra waiting for his turn in the kitchen, Joanna, my gardening whiz, whipped up a simple balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and... well I was too busy melting butter & garlic to note.

And THAT is what I call a perfect Nova Scotian Surf & Turf.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Haha that is awesome! I love how every component really does have some local roots!