Monday, May 14, 2012

Meat, Meat & More Meat

It's been weeks since I've been to the farmers' market on a Saturday morning.  I feel I've probably missed some of my favorite firsts - ramp, baby leeks, fiddleheads, Spring salad greens...But sometimes we can't control life.

Lucky for me, several producers are there throughout the week.   And we are in desperate need... carnivores that we are... to stock up the freezer with some Getaway Farm Beef.   That's Ben the Butcher doing his magic...
It really is a pleasure to watch him do what he does best... and turn a carcass into every beautiful cut imaginable.   my choices this week... hanger steak (for the freezer),
and for sunny skies and warm weather, it's perfect for a BBQ ... skirt steak (with Hoisin Marinade) we grilled some at the kids (even Boaz had two helpings.... and he's not usually a meat eater)
& a lovely piece of lamb shoulder that I cut into chunks and marinated for these Mediterranean Lamb Kebabs.   I had planned on making a recipe from LCBO's Food & Drink - still not on the web site yet, but I promise to share soon.  I even had all the ingredients, but was in too much of a hurry to have to "read".   Instead, I used my tried & true Mediterranean Marinade - first posted back in 2005 - lemon juice & zest, rosemary, garlic & olive oil, and skewered with wedges of red onion and sweet red peppers plus cremini mushrooms.  A perfect BBQ end to a lovely Mother's Day.
Stay tuned for my Chat with Norbert Kungl and his lovely wife Minga Mintz - extraordinary farmers and foodies, who recently won the Outstanding Farm Family Award for innovation from the Nova Scotia Institute of Agrologists ...talking about their organic farm Selwood Green , Norbert's Good Food also at the market....

In the meantime, I'd love to hear about your favorite farm producer.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I also haven't been to the farmer's market in forever and I miss it so much! Saturday mornings have just been impossible lately though...

-c.owen said...

I have a lot of respect for farmers like these. They work hard and are really essential. Thanks for sharing, it's good to see blogs like these.
-bloodraincomments.blogspot.co.uk/